Question to the Minister for Local Government:
- What are the rights and responsibilities of an ‘approved premises’ that has taken in a seized or surrendered animal under the Companion Animals Act 1998?
- If a companion animal’s owner is unable to be contacted by the holder of a seized or surrendered animal, what steps should the holder take to comply with the law?
- Under what circumstances can someone other than an approved officer seize an animal under the Companion Animals Act 1998?
- What are the criteria for a ‘practicable’ alternative to euthanizing animals that have been held by a council pound for the requisite period?
- What protections exist for an owner who, due to extenuating circumstances, is unable to claim a held animal from a council pound within the period?