As community sports club return to the field this month after a long hiatus caused by Covid-19, five local clubs have secured increased funding through the 2019-20 Summer Hill Local Sports Grant Program.
Jo Haylen MP, Member for Summer Hill, is proud to announce the grants, which will come as a welcome relief to clubs trying to kickstart their 2020 seasons.
A total of $24,085 in funding has been awarded to local clubs, including:
- Marrickville RSL Kings Rugby League Football Club will use a grant of $8,080 to upgrade security at their shared change rooms at Marrickville Oval;
- Summer Hill Lakers Netball Club’s grant of $5000 will subsidise the cost of registration for women and girls and help purchase new equipment for the club;
- Marrickville Football Club will use its grant of $2000 to bring the Westfield Matildas to Marrickville to mentor and and run skills development workshops for the many girls and young women playing with the club;
- Marrickville Cricket Club will use its grant of $7000 to provide professional coaching for junior players and buy new uniforms for the club; and
- The $2000 grant for Western Suburbs District Cricket Club will be used to buy new uniforms and facilitate coaching.
Funding is allocated as part of the NSW Government’s Local Sports Grant program and is intended to help community clubs increase participation.
Quotes attributable to Jo Haylen MP, Member for Summer Hill
“2020 has been a tough season for inner west sports clubs. They haven’t been able to plan their seasons, recruit players or fundraise and these grants will go a long way to get them back on track.
“Our kids have been climbing the walls over the past few months and if families are anything like mine, seeing them back on the field this past weekend has come as a huge relief.
“These grants will help make sure that new uniforms, upgraded facilities and world class training is there to support them as they get back to it.
“I offer my heartfelt congratulations to each of the clubs who received funding, and to every sports club getting back on the field this month.”